country
EN
Italy arrests former Berlusconi associate over journalist bomb attack
[]
The Local
Italian police said Monday they had arrested a businessman who had ties to the former premier Silvio Berlusconi for ordering a bomb attack targeting prominent television journalist Sigfrido Ranucci last year.
Rome's carabinieri police said Valter Lavitola, supposedly a friend of Ranucci, was the "alleged mastermind" behind the October 16 attack outside the journalist's home.
The journalist was not injured in the attack, which damaged two cars and part of his gate outside his home in Pomezia, south of Rome.
In 2015, a lower court convicted Berlusconi for having bribed a senator, handing him a three-year sentence.
The same sentence was given to Lavitola, whom prosecutors accused of having handed the cash to the lawmaker.