country
EN
SIR: Congress alleges 84 lakh voters risk removal in Karnataka ‘without thorough verification’
['Scroll Staff']
Scroll.in
The ruling Congress in Karnataka has alleged that more than 84 lakh voters could be removed from the state’s electoral rolls during the ongoing Special Intensive Revision exercise “without thorough verification”, The Indian Express reported.
According to the election office’s data, the category includes 51.74 lakh voters listed as permanently shifted, 14.99 lakh listed as dead, 11.61 lakh listed as absent, 5.62 lakh identified as duplicate entries and about 33,000 classified under other reasons.
Responding to the concerns, Anbukkumar said the names of the 84 lakh electors in the category would not be deleted automatically, The New Indian Express reported.
The Election Commission extended the deadline for the house-to-house verification exercise from July 29 to August 8.
As of Wednesday, 4.26 crore forms had been digitised, while 43.24 lakh remained pending digitisation, the state’s electoral authority said.