In May 1740, the 43rd Highland Regiment of Foot (Black Watch) mustered for the first time on the banks of the River Tay at Aberfeldy. The regiment had been established by Royal Warrant on 25 October 1739 by bringing together six Independent Highland Companies to form a regular highland line regiment that would serve in the British Army. To commemorate the first muster of the Black Watch regiment at Aberfeldy, Gavin Campbell, Marquis of Breadalbane unveiled the Black Watch Memorial overlooking Wade’s Bridge in May 1887.