In 1911, Shobonier’s population was 400, and there were still four general stores, two groceries, two restaurants, a grain elevator (built by John U. Metzger), Henry Metzgers livery stable, three blacksmith shops, a butcher shop and mill. Shoboniers brick two-story school was built in 1893, and at the time was considered the finest to be found in a town of Shoboniers size. In 1926, the Shobonier school board rented the old post office building for a two-year high school.