None
CA
Comment on NIGERIA: President Pledges to Rescue Kidnapped Chibok girls by Eduardowholf
['View All Posts Admin']
Comments for Cisa News Africa
NEW YORK SEPTEMBER 29, 2015(CISA) – Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari promised at the United Nations September 28 to rescue the schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram fighters in 2014 and to defeat the Islamist militia.
Fifty-seven escaped, but nothing has been heard of the 219 others since May last year, when about 100 of them appeared in a Boko Haram video, dressed in Muslim attire and reciting the Koran.
Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau has since said they all converted to Islam and been “married off.”
President Buhari, who has promised to stamp out the group’s bloody six-year insurgency, told the General Assembly that his government had put in place “a bold and robust strategy to defeat Boko Haram.”
Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Benin had established a “joint task force to confront, degrade and defeat” the militia, President Buhari said.