None
EN
In the news today: B.C. wildfire reinforcements, Colombia earthquake, car thefts down
['The Canadian Press']
d1396
Jurors deliberated for an hour before delivering the verdict against 46-year-old Luciano Frattolin, whose sentencing is set for Oct. 14.
—Auto thefts continue downward trend across Canada, new report showsReported auto thefts are falling across the country and the number over the first half of 2026 was 10 per cent lower than in the same period last year.
A new report from the non-profit anti-fraud group Équité Association says auto theft in Canada is trending toward the “pre-crisis” of before 2021, when the number of auto thefts shot up.
Bryan Gast with the Équité Association says the drop in auto thefts is encouraging, but luxury vehicles are still being stolen and their profits are still being used to fund organized crime.
—Manitoba’s first supervised consumption site set to fully openManitoba’s first supervised consumption site is set to fully open today in Winnipeg after lengthy delays.