Family owned and operated since 1955, Middleton’s Mark Twain Center, Inc. was originally Calaveras Mercantile bought by Hank and Matilda Middleton in 1955. Starting as a furniture, feed, fabric, and appliance business in the original 1500-sq-ft location proved to not meet the needs of the community. ft. furniture, appliance, hardware, and gift shop with a local bank and grocery store. Taking over the family business, Bob also saw the needs of the community he was raised in and joined a National Buying Group for Middleton’s in 1981. WHAT SETS US APARTSince 1955, Middleton’s has been proud to serve the Angels Camp community.