None
EN
Suspect accused of killing Martinez man had been recently released on his own recognizance
[]
KION546
By Da LinA suspect accused of killing a Martinez man had been recently released on his own recognizance in connection with several burglary cases, police said.
The killing of 68-year-old Todd Stewart shocked and angered neighbors, some of whom said the homicide could have been prevented if the suspect had remained in custody.
The homicide happened in front of Stewart’s home on Francis Court, where neighbor Galina Pasternak said Stewart had been building a shed when the suspect attacked him.
Police said Iriarte-Valdez was released twice before the killing.
The following day, Aug. 5, a judge ordered Iriarte-Valdez released on his own recognizance.