Government spokesman Konstantinos Letymbiotis on Sunday hailed what he described as a “return to the substance of the Cyprus problem” as he attended a memorial service for five men from the Paphos district village of Letymbou who died for the Greek Cypriot cause at various junctures between the 1930s and the 1970s. “Our systematic effort yielded concrete results,” he said, pointing to the appointment of Maria Angela Holguin as the United Nations’ Cyprus problem envoy and the convening of enlarged meetings on the Cyprus problem in Geneva and New York last year, as well as UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ visit to the island last month. “The new mobility has a clear political content and a specific basis. “The European Council conclusions, the clear interconnection of relations between Europe and Turkey with progress on the Cyprus problem, and the appointment of Raffaele Fitto [as the European Commission’s Cyprus problem envoy] constitute a new political state of affairs,” he said. He then added that the Greek Cypriot side “approaches every effort with a sincere will for a solution and with unwavering commitment to our principles”.