None
EN
‘13 children died in captivity’ — survivor recounts ordeal of 163 Kwara kidnap victims
[]
Latest News In Nigeria, Nigeria News Today, Your Online Nigerian Newspaper
About 13 children reportedly died during the six-month
captivity of residents abducted from communities in Kaiama LGA of Kwara state.
Saliu Amira, a nurse and one of the 163 victims rescued by
security agencies, said 12 other children followed their abductors during the
ordeal.
She said the victims endured harsh conditions and were given
little food while in captivity.
“The kind of food that they are giving us over there… The
day that we reached there, they just dropped guinea corn for us with salt and
Maggi,” Amira said.
“They left us inside the river; the children that died are
almost 13, and those people that followed them are 12 in number; that’s 25.”
Nicholas Rume, commander of the 22 armoured brigade, said
the victims were rescued through the combined efforts of security agencies.
“Today I am happy to introduce to you the people whom,
through the combined efforts of the security agencies, we have been able to
rescue,” he said.
“Thank you to the other security agencies who have been very
helpful in all the efforts we’ve been making; today is an example of the
synergy that exists within security agencies in the country.”
Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, governor of Kwara, received the
rescued victims in Ilorin, the state capital, on Friday.
The governor commended the security agencies for the
successful operation and said the establishment of a new army brigade would
strengthen security in the state.
Abdulrazaq said 46 of the rescued victims had been
hospitalised and were receiving medical attention at a government facility.
“I have since directed that the appropriate medical
attention be extended to everyone to ensure their well-being. Prior to this
time, our government has extended various forms of support to the rural
community,” he said.
The victims were among residents abducted on February 3 when
armed assailants attacked Woro, Nuku and other communities in Kaiama LGA.
The attacks reportedly killed at least 75 people, displaced
several residents and left many communities severely affected.
While the exact number of people abducted was not
immediately known, reports put the figure at about 170, including women and
children.
On August 5, the Kwara government announced the release of
the victims after about six months in captivity.