AdvertisementNationalWAAUKUS ‘It won’t be a US military base’: Cook stands firm on HMAS Stirling future Michael Philipps August 7, 2026 — 3:52pm Save You have reached your maximum number of saved items. Share A A AWA Premier Roger Cook says HMAS Stirling will not be a US military base despite media reports that more than double the number of Americans would be deployed to the facility than previously declared. A Virginia-class submarine, the USS Minnesota, docked at HMAS Stirling in Rockingham. “We’re having over $6 billion worth of construction activity taking place at HMAS Stirling as we speak. Parker said US submarines and personnel would be already stationed at the nearby HMAS Stirling on Garden Island under the current AUKUS plans.