AdvertisementNationalQueenslandNRL 2025 ‘There was no actual evidence’: Brandon Smith’s insider-betting charge dropped Rex Martinich Adrian Proszenko and August 6, 2026 — 11:51am Save You have reached your maximum number of saved items. South Sydney Rabbitohs player Brandon Smith (centre) is seen arriving at the Southport Magistrates Court on the Gold Coast. Smith’s solicitor Paul McGirr said a gambling expert’s evidence previously offered by police had been “pure speculation”. Getty There was no evidence about what player lists were known to the public at the time, McGirr told Pink. “The matter shouldn’t have ever seen the light of day,” McGirr told this masthead.