Selangor youth, sports and entrepreneurship committee chairman Najwan Halimi previously said the budget cuts to Sukma 2026 would mainly involve the opening and closing ceremonies. He described the lack of a grant or direct allocation from the federal government for the 2026 Sukma host Selangor as an unhealthy move since previous hosts had received financial assistance. “Previous organisers received assistance, such as Sarawak which was allocated RM50 million for hosting Sukma two years ago,” he said during the Selangor state assembly sitting. “This situation is not ideal because the hosting of Sukma should also receive allocations from the federal government.” Sukma 2026 is scheduled to take place from Aug 15 to 24.