Durham Crown Court heard that officers, unaware of the attack, found various improvised weapons in a search of Watts’ cell. The now 53-year-old prisoner denied wounding with intent, relating to the unprovoked attack on June 17, 2025, but was found guilty after a trial in May. Inmate at HMP Frankland launched re-planned makeshift knife attack on fellow prisoner to highlight his security concerns, court told (Image: The Northern Echo)He also previously admitted four counts of unauthorised possession in prison of a knife or offensive weapon. Ian Mullarkey, prosecuting, said Watts took hold of the other prisoner by the neck in a corridor before slashing him with the weapon he was holding in the other hand. The victim ran off to a cell to apply a towel to the neck wound, and Watts initially followed him, but then veered away.