None
EN
FSB Arrests Kaluga Man Accused of Plotting Attack on Military Enlistment Office
['The Moscow Times', 'Aug.']
The Moscow Times - Independent News From Russia
Russia’s FSB security service said Wednesday that it arrested a man who was suspected of plotting an arson attack against a military enlistment office in the central Kaluga region on orders from Ukraine.
In an FSB video aired by state media, the 22-year-old man, whose face was blurred, said an officer from Ukraine’s military intelligence service offered him money to carry out a series of criminal acts.
“First, I was tasked with putting up graffiti discrediting the Russian government, and then burning down a military enlistment office,” the man said in the video, adding that he had been in contact with his handler for around a year before his arrest.
An FSB officer featured in the video said foreign handlers often start by assigning recruits basic tasks — such as collecting publicly available information and monitoring local developments — before escalating to higher-stakes attacks.
The Kaluga man faces charges of planning to carry out an act of terrorism, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.