Representatives of Larnaca communities near the Kalo CHorio firing range on Tuesday expressed their concern over its continued operation, stressing that the safety of residents must be prioritised and was “non-negotiable”. In a meeting held following a fire last week that broke out at the site and spread to neighbouring villages, the representatives discussed the safety of residents and their properties, as well as the protection of the environment. They said that “in addition to ashes and cinders”, the fire had left behind “many questions that the authorities must answer”. She said a second meeting with the minister has been scheduled for mid-September to decide how to proceed and emphasised throughout that resident safety must remain non-negotiable. The fire at the Kalo Chorio firing range broke out following a national guard live-fire exercise that spread beyond the range on July 27, scorching around 120 of land and prompting the evacuation of the villages Ayia Anna and Psevdas.