None
DE
Spanish Legion sweeps Ceuta beaches and hills for immigrants still in the city
["Antonio O'Mullony", 'Senior Editor', 'Brussels Signal']
Brussels Signal
Spanish Legion units have begun combing beaches and scrubland on the edge of Ceuta for migrants still in the North African enclave, five days after tens of thousands crossed the border from Morocco.
Legionnaires told the Spanish newspaper El Debate, speaking off the record, that three firearms had been recovered during the searches.
The official death toll stands at 72 on the Spanish side of the border and 11 on the Moroccan side.
Madrid has blamed a Supreme Court ruling of July 8 that barred the summary return of migrants intercepted at sea off Ceuta and Melilla.
The European Commission has offered operational support through Frontex and said no irregular migrants had moved on from Ceuta to the European mainland.