None
EN
‘Significant distress’: calls grow for faster water pipe replacement after repeated bursts
['Leopold Chen']
South China Morning Post
For 70-year-old Shau Kei Wan resident Chan, a recent burst water main meant repeated trips to a wagon to collect supplies for his home more than a day after the disruption began.
Authorities had promised to have the water running by 6am, but engineers identified a leak at a pipe joint shortly after the supply was briefly restored, prompting another hours-long suspension.
“It’s a real struggle,” said Chan, a resident of Yiu Tung Estate, adding that the government had provided enough water and that he understood the situation.
The burst in Shau Kei Wan last month – which affected more than 10,000 households – was one of a number of such incidents in recent months, with Tuen Mun and Kwai Chung among areas also hit.
Connie Chan Ho-yee, who chairs the civil division of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, said on Tuesday that removing red tape would help speed up the replacement of old pipes, which involves applying for permits from various departments and can take months.