None
EN
EU Splits, Trump Weighs In as Ceuta Border Crisis Leaves72 Dead — Inside the City's Wildest 48 Hours
['Latintimes Staff Reporter']
Latin Times
CEUTA, Spain — For roughly 48 hours in late July, Spain's North African outpost of Ceuta stopped functioning as a normal city.
Spanish Civil Guard forensic teams say identifying the dead through fingerprints and DNA could take another week or more.
By the following Saturday, Spain's Interior Ministry said the overwhelming majority of arrivals — an estimated 48,300 people — had already gone back to Morocco, many under military escort.
That account suggests the government's reinforcement of the border came only after the crisis had already begun, despite the earlier alerts — a sequence Spain's Interior Ministry disputes.
France's interior minister said police presence along the Spanish border would be quintupled by that Saturday, and Spain's foreign minister summoned Italy's ambassador in protest.