None
EN
UEFA threatens to boycott World Cup over FIFA sell-off proposal
[]
Latest News In Nigeria, Nigeria News Today, Your Online Nigerian Newspaper
UEFA, European football’s governing body, says its member
associations would boycott all FIFA tournaments so long as World Cup sell-off
proposals remain alive.
In a statement on Thursday, the confederation reiterated
that all its 55 members “unequivocally reject” FIFA’s planned sale of minoty
stakes in the business operations of all its competitions to private investors.
“It is both irresponsible and indefensible that a proposal
of such significance for football was conceived in secret and brought to the
brink of approval without any meaningful consultation with those entrusted with
stewarding the game,” the statement reads.
“This is not merely a profound failure of leadership, but an
abdication of FIFA’s duty as the custodian of world football.
“National associations around the world are now presented
with an ultimatum: accept the irreversible capture of football’s greatest
competitions or bear the consequences. This is not a ‘democratic decision’, but
governance by intimidation – an act of coercion unworthy of an institution
entrusted with the stewardship of the global game.
UEFA argued that “the moment external investors acquire
ownership interests in FIFA competitions, football changes forever”.
“Commercial return becomes a permanent obligation. Investor
expectations become a daily pressure. From that moment onwards, every decision
on the international calendar, every decision on competition formats and every
decision shaping the future of football is no longer driven by what best serves
the game, but by what best serves shareholders,” the statement reads.
“This model has no place in world football. Football’s
future cannot be dictated by the expectations of those whose first duty is to
maximise financial return. Nor can the interests of national associations,
leagues, clubs, players and supporters become subordinate to investor returns.
Football cannot mortgage its future for financial gain.
“Europe’s position is clear. We will never lend this model
our legitimacy. No one has the moral authority to sell what they merely hold in
trust for the next generation.
“As a result of today’s discussion, no UEFA national teams
will participate in any FIFA competition for so long as these proposals remain
alive, unless this proposal has been abandoned in its entirety and binding
assurances have been given that FIFA will never again open its governance or
competitions to private ownership.”
BACKGROUND
Earlier this week, FIFA announced its plans to to set up
FIFA Forward Enterprise initiative (FFE), a commercial subsidiary to run
events, including the World Cup.
The world football governing body said it will retain the
major shares of the semi-private subsidiary but will raise $4.2 billion later
this year by “carefully selecting long-term investors who will purchase
minority, non-controlling interests”.
The Times, the British newspaper, reported that Gianni
Infantino, FIFA president, stood to profit from the scheme by becoming
commissioner of the FFE after his expected next term expires in 2031.
The newspaper also added that the potential investors are
Joshua Kushner, the brother-in-law of Ivanka, US President Donald Trump’s
daughter, as well as an arm of JP Morgan Chase, the US bank that attempted to
finance the failed breakaway European Super League.
FIFA said if the proposal is aproved by the majory of its
association members, the project could provide each counties with a one-off
payment of $20 million in early 2027 and increase their funding allocation for
the 2027-2030 cycle from $8 million to $20 million.
The move from FIFA has continued to generate global backlash
from football stakeholders and fans, in general.
Other confederations in South America, North America and
Asia have also released statements on the issue, stating that they were not
consulted by FIFA on the plan.
However, CAF has encouraged its members to review the
proposal adding that it is committed “to continue consulting and working
together with its Member Associations, FIFA, other Football Confederations and
stakeholders in support of increasing financial and other resources for the
development and growth of football in Africa and worldwide”.