The council-owned Brittania car park closed off 92 parking spaces last week as archaeological investigations got underway ahead of the St Botolph’s Quarter redevelopment. Car park - Britannia Car Park (Image: NQ)Shut off - 92 spaces are out of action (Image: NQ)Dig - excavation works (Image: NQ)The archaeology works are taking place to build a clearer understanding of what lies beneath the site and inform future plans before redevelopment begins. Colchester Council had said the Colchester Archaeological Trust would take up to seven weeks for works but signs in the car park state the section of car park will be closed until October 16. Colchester resident Richard Thompson, reacting, said: “That's the car park I always use. Britannia Car Park will lose 83 parking spaces.