None
EN
Thirteen people confirmed dead and many more trapped or missing after Japan hit by 7.1-magnitude quake
[]
The Nightly
At least thirteen people have died after a 7.1-magnitude earthquake hit Japan’s southern Kumamoto prefecture, knocking out power to thousands of homes, rupturing roads and leaving some trapped and others presumed dead inside a partially collapsed shopping mall.
Japan’s Fire and Disaster Management Agency confirmed the deaths on Wednesday and said the figure included two people in a badly damaged shopping mall and three more elsewhere in the south-western Kumamoto region hit by the tremor.
About 20 to 30 workers at the prefecture’s largest shopping mall were unaccounted for after it was rocked by an explosion in the aftermath of the quake, NHK said.
Damage and injuries were reported across the Kumamoto area after the 7.1 magnitude quake.
Across the region, local police reported at least 12 collapsed houses, including four in which individuals had been trapped.