Earlier this month, Baroness Carr, Lord Justice Edis and Ms Justice Norton gave X and Y four years’ detention but left Z’s sentence unchanged. In a July 2 ruling, Baroness Carr said the boys were appealing their convictions. Lord Justice Edis said the court intended to "deal with the cases as ones that ought to be expedited". The girls’ families said they were "deeply grateful" and "relieved" after X and Y’s sentences were increased. Earlier this month, Baroness Carr criticised a CPS press release that incorrectly suggested the boys had been convicted of raping the second victim at knifepoint.