None
EN
Few families return to southern Lebanese village as part of Israel ‘pilot zones’ deal
['Bassem Mroue', 'The Associated Press']
Winnipeg Free Press
Now, their home in Zawtar al-Gharbieh — one of three zones where Israel agreed to turn over control to the Lebanese army — is among homes so damaged that they’re unlivable.
In Zawtar al-Gharbieh, it’s unclear whether troops were on the ground.
The Israeli military has destroyed 24 centuries-old villages and 15,000 to 20,000 houses in Lebanon, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz told a TV station Tuesday.
During The Associated Press team’s visit Tuesday to Zawtar al-Gharbieh, three strong explosions occurred in occupied areas, and brown smoke billowed.
But in Zawtar al-Gharbieh, mayor Ezzeldine said he wouldn’t call the pilot zone successful so far.