None
EN
Japan earthquake latest: At least 13 dead as hospitals overwhelmed amid ‘race against time’ to reach survivors
[]
The Independent
Read our Privacy noticeRescuers in Japan raced to find more people still trapped inside collapsed buildings on Wednesday after a powerful 6.8-magnitude earthquake struck southwestern Kumamoto prefecture a day earlier, killing at least 18 people and leaving many missing.
The president of the Aeon Mall in Kumamoto, Akio Yoshida, told a press conference search was ongoing to find the remaining people missing.
Riko Furuta, 23, said she spent the night at her office after the earthquake struck and experienced aftershocks the entire night.
Workers near the Aeon mall described being thrown to the floor and being enveloped in a cloud of dust by the impact of the blast.
The Aeon shopping mall, the prefecture's largest shopping and entertainment complex, had been rebuilt with seismically reinforced ceilings and other safety upgrades after suffering heavy damage a decade ago.