Canada NewsFederal government rejects expansion of Toronto's Billy Bishop airportNo expansion for airportPhoto: The Canadian Press People arrive at Billy Bishop Airport in Toronto on Friday, July 19, 2024. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher KatsarovThe federal government has rejected Ontario's plan to expand Toronto's Billy Bishop airport to accommodate jets on a longer runway. Ontario Premier Doug Ford's government recently passed legislation to take over the city's spot in a tripartite agreement that governs Billy Bishop airport, joining the federal government and the Toronto Port Authority, an arm's-length federal agency. Ford has said the airport expansion could increase passenger traffic from two million a year to 10 million. Before Ottawa launched its consultations last month, Carney said he had yet to form an opinion on Ford's airport expansion plans, adding there were "many, many issues" that had to be considered.