None
EN
'Absolute bull****': Labour MP blasts govt over 'evil' voting changes
['Craig Mcculloch']
Otago Daily Times Online News
Senior Labour MP Damien O'Connor said the coalition was trying to "cut out and eliminate" the votes of poorer, more transient people.
O'Connor said the enrolment changes were "undermining basic democracy" and suggested ministers were out-of-touch for saying voters should be aware of their obligations.
The Electoral Commission previously estimated about 55,000 party votes and 73,000 electorate votes could be disallowed this year, due to a lack of enrolment.
Labour leader Chris Hipkins reignited the debate on Monday afternoon, telling reporters the Electoral Commission was not doing a good enough job ensuring people were on the electoral roll.
"There'll be an advertising campaign run by the Electoral Commission.