The art deco building opened as a Regal Cinema, with seating for 1,446, in February 1931, where it became Colchester's sixth cinema. Its popularity continued to surge and it was renamed as the Odeon Cinema in 1961, gathering people to attend from all over Essex. The building's old dressing rooms were used as a base for Hospital Radio Colchester from 1975 to 1990. But the 71-year-old cinema closed on 13 October, 2002, when Odeon relocated to a new purpose built 8-screen multiplex in Head Street. And the once-marvelled art deco building in Crouch Street has sat empty, rotting and dilapidated, ever since.